Earth Assist (EA) is an award-winning environmental education and student volunteering program, engaging thousands of primary and secondary school students across the length and breadth of Western Australia (WA). A Conservation Volunteers initiative; the program is developed and delivered in partnership with the WA Department of Education and the WA Department of Biodiversity, Conservation & Attractions (DBCA) and proudly supported by Rio Tinto.
Bringing young people back to nature
EA supports a growing movement to reconnect young Australians to their natural surrounds, by immersing them in hands-on environmental education experiences. We encourage students to discover nature’s classroom, get their hands dirty, and take action for a sustainable future.
The program takes an experiential learning approach to education, enabling teachers and students to easily step outside the classroom, to enhance their school’s natural environment or assist local conservation projects happening in their area. Schools and participants are offered a complete delivery package, including:
• Team Leader guidance and supervision
• Transport to and from project sites in our bus
• Personal Protective Equipment, tools and equipment
• Program management and insurance
Our activities link to and support the WA curriculum and cross curriculum priorities, specifically Sustainability and Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures. EA offers a variety of delivery models to suit different ages, regions and volunteering interests.
‘Rethink Waste’ WA Art Competition – Submissions open now!
Submissions are open now for our 2019 ‘Rethink Waste’ Art Competition! Create a sculpture or textile piece portraying a threatened West Australian plant, animal or ecosystem from recycled materials to submit with a short written piece.
Through the process of learning and creating their recycled masterpieces students will be empowered to make sustainable changes to support the environment.
Online submissions at www.earthassist.freo.eco, or
Submissions close 5pm on the 31st of August 2019. Finalists will be exhibited for 2 weeks in October (dates and Perth location TBC) with an awards night.
Check out the photos of some of last year’s ‘Re-create Waste’ entries to the right! We can’t wait to see what students come up with this year!
Your school can also take part in our free incursions and excursion run by Earth Assist to compliment your learning. See ‘School Activities’ section below.
School Activities – Free Incursions & Excursions – Book now!
If you would like to book your school in for a FREE activity with EA please contact us on the details provided below.
- Community Conservation Action (Excursion) – where students head out to a conservation site or wildlife sanctuary. Students can complete various activities to the betterment of their community and the environment as part of the school’s community service program, whilst learning skills that link with the WA curriculum.
- Living Classroom Program (Incursion)– Students participate in the development and installation of ‘living classrooms’ within school-grounds. Students are able to learn new skills whilst working towards creating healthier environments. This program can be tailored to suit all year levels including Early Childhood. Incursions may include one class for an entire day or multiple classes for whole or part days.
- Biodiversity Series – undertake one of our curriculum based Biodiversity Series learning booklets (Weed Warriors, Bringing Back the WA Bush or Feral Fauna) with your class and receive an incursion and excursion to compliment student learning. Our booklets are targeted at Years 6-10 and provide learning content, activities, lesson planning and assistance from CVA.
School Holiday Program
Every school holidays we provide an exciting opportunity for students to undertake environmental volunteering in their community. Activities can include planting, bird surveys, site maintenance at wildlife centres, dune rehabilitation, marine debris surveys and various other conservation-based activities. Students in this program must be 15 years old or above, or must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
The next school holiday program will run on the following dates in the April School Holidays:
- Monday 15th April,
- Wednesday 24th April,
- Thursday 25th April,
- Friday 26th April 2019.
To book onto the School Holiday Program, email [email protected].
Regional Tours – Book now!
- Pilbara – Monday 3rd to Friday 14th June 2019.
If you would like to get your school involved in Earth Assist or have any questions, please contact us at our Perth Office on:
📞 Phone: (08) 9335 2777
📧 Email (EA Program Coordinator): [email protected]
We look forward to hearing from you! 😃